As promised, here is part two of my 31 day/31 Halloween movie binge!
I list the date I watched them, the title, the year of release, and the MPAA rating.
I will also give them a personal rating (X out of 5 pumpkins).
- 10/16/2020 – 1408 (2007 – PG-13) – Adapted from a Stephen King short story, this stars John Cusack as a “professional paranormal debunker” that checks into room 1408 at a hotel that is supposedly super haunted, hoping to prove that it is not Excellent slow-paced psychological thriller, which Cusack enjoyed doing so much he recently announced he would love to make a sequel. I’m in! Rating: 4 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/17/2020 – Happy Death Day (2017 – PG-13) – A super fun twisted version of “Groundhog Day,” where a college girl is repeatedly murdered only to awaken and live the same day over and over until she can solve who the killer is. Funny, meta, creative, and fresh. I love it! Rating: 5 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/17/2020 – Happy Death Day 2U (2019 – PG-13) – An unnecessary sequel that turned out to be just as fun as the original, thus proving itself deserved. The killer (maybe?) has returned, this time targeting a friend of the girl from the first movie. This time there is time travel involved, which I initially thought was ridiculous, only to end up loving it. Give me a third Happy Death Day! Rating: 4 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/20/2020 – Arachnophobia (1990 – PG-13) – The classic 1990 thriller/comedy about killer spiders that still holds up! A deadly South American spider hitches a ride to the U.S. then lays eggs, which all hatch and go about biting and killing unsuspecting victims in a small town. Jeff Daniels and John Goodman are both excellent here. Rating: 4 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/20/2020 – Darkness Falls (2003 – PG-13) – A female suspected of being a witch is lynched, only to return 150 years later in the form of an evil tooth fairy, dead set on exacting revenge on the citizens of the small town that wrongfully executed her. Interesting enough premise, but overall just a bad movie. Rating: 2 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/21/2020 – The Ring (2002 – PG-13) – Watch a cursed VHS tape, either on purpose or accidentally, and you have only seven days to live before the ghost in the video tracks you down and kills you! The only way to prevent that outcome is to convince someone else to watch the video, thus passing the curse on to them. A blockbuster when it initially came out…it really does not hold up too well. Slow, moody, filled with unnecessary jump-scares, and the VHS tape aspect really dates it. Rating: 3 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/21/2020 – The Ring Two (2005 – PG-13) – Set six months after the events of the first movie, evil spirit Samara is still killing unsuspecting people that watch her cursed videotape. With her sights once again set on the young boy from the first movie, this is basically part one done over again for no reason at all. Rating: 2 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/22/2020 – Rings (aka The Ring 3) (2017 – PG-13) – Long after the events of the first two movies, the legend of the cursed videotape and Samara still invoke chills of terror. A young womans boyfriend watches the video, expecting it to be a joke, only to realize the curse is very much still active. She then investigates and watches the video herself, only to discover there is a hidden “video inside of the video” that no one has ever seen until now. Quite the stretch to connect it to the first two movies, done only to revive the series, and try to make money. Lame! Rating: 1 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/23/2020 – World War Z (2013 – PG-13) – Brad Pitt stars as a former United Nations employee desperately trying to figure out the cause of a worldwide zombie pandemic in the hopes of stopping it before the entire planet is lost. Not bad, but also not really different from any other zombie movie that has been made. Rating: 3 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/24/2020 – Tremors (1990 – PG-13) – The 1990 horror/comedy that started an entire franchise, and is one of my favorite movies of all time! Giant carnivorous worms begin attacking citizens of a super-small desert town. Not knowing what these things are or how to fight back against them, the remaining citizens’ team together to try to kill them all and save their lives, and town! Hilarious and fun, with awesome creature effects. Rating: 5 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/24/2020 – Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996 – PG-13) – “The worms have turned” as the tagline so proudly reveals. Not long after the events of the first film, the newly crowned “Graboids” appear in a Mexican oil field, but this time there is something very different about them as they have evolved into a new form. Still a lot of fun, but it doesn’t match the overall quality of the first movie. Rating: 4 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/24/2020 – Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (2001 – PG) – The series returns to the small Nevada town where it all began, with “Graboids” and the newly discovered “Shriekers” still active. However, the creatures have once again evolved into something new, different, and highly dangerous. Fun enough, but again nowhere near the quality of the first two movies. Rating: 3 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/25/2020 – Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004 – PG-13) – A prequel set in the late 1800’s, this story follows the creation of the town of Perfection, and how they have always been battling “Graboids.” A waste of time and concept, this entry is the worst in the series and should be avoided at all costs. Rating: 0 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/25/2020 – Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015 – PG-13) – The worms return again, this time appearing in the wilds of Africa, thus revealing themselves to be a worldwide threat. Gun-fanatic Burt from the first few movies is now a professional “Graboid” hunter, and heads to Africa to stop them. Decent and fun enough, and a welcome rebound for the series after the awful fourth entry. Rating: 3 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/25/2020 – Tremors 6: A Cold Day in Hell (2018 – PG-13) – The worms resurface in a new location yet again; this time in the arctic north. Once again they also evolve, proving themselves to be an ongoing danger and mystery. Burt is called upon to stop them yet again. Rating: 2 out of 5 pumpkins.
- 10/26/2020 – Tremors 7: Shrieker Island (2020 – PG-13) – A rich trophy hunter captures “Graboids” and takes them to his private island for other trophy hunters to come “hunt,” but they quickly grow out of control and Burt is called in to fix the growing problem. Same old story, only being done a little bit differently once again just to keep the series going. Rating: 3 out of 5 pumpkins.
Have a happy and healthy Halloween!