Next Book: Gregor the Overlander by Susanne Collins
Next Meeting: Monday, August 13
What is Read-Aloud Book Club? It’s an hour after school on Mondays to enjoy listening to a book, and then discussing what we’ve heard. No pre-reading required, and you only have to read aloud if you want.
I’ll begin each session, opening up the reading portion to volunteers after about 5 minutes. If there are no volunteers, I will happily continue reading! After about 30 minutes (give or take, I will always end reading at the end of a chapter) we’ll talk about what we’ve heard, what we think might happen next (if the book is new to us) and what our favorite parts were of what we read.
The most important part of Book Club is this: everyone voices their opinion with respect, and respects others’ opinions in return.
Below, you can find the eight questions used for our discussion. These will be available at Book Club, too.
Questions to think about as you listen to a book:
- How did the book make you feel?
- Did the characters feel like real people? Someone you could walk outside and meet on the sidewalk? Why?
- Who in the book would you want to hang out with for an afternoon? Why?
- If you could jump into this book, where would you go? What would you do?
- Does the action of the book make sense? What do you think will happen next?
- What’s your favorite scene, so far?
- Do the people, places or actions in the book remind you of something from your own life?
- If you could ask the author a question, what would it be?