The time has come, too quickly for some, but we’re getting ready for Summer Discovery here at PPL!
The YA end of Summer Discovery has really shaken things up this year – it’s the end of an era, but there are new opportunities on the horizon! Here are some of the highlights:
- New ways to earn prizes – of course you’re going to read. That won’t change. What is changing though, is you can earn entry tickets by doing OTHER stuff! Meet some of PPL’s staff, make a book trailer, play a board game, or any of the other Challenges listed on the Summer Discovery site. (You’ll be able to see them when they activate on May 31)
- Drawings! – EVERYONE has a chance to win that big prize this year.
- Graphic Novels are accepted! – Yep, you heard it here. You can now read Graphic Novels for credit in the YA Summer Discovery Reading Challenge. Here’s the deal: Graphic Novels and heavily illustrated fiction are only worth 1/2 credit. So that Dork Diaries book? Even though it’s 368 pages long, you’ll log it as 184 – which is still worth almost 2 tickets!
- We’re adding an End Of Summer Event this year for everyone who signs up for the YA Summer Discovery Reading Challenge and reads at least 100 pages. That’s it – you log 100 pages, you get an invitation. You also get to vote with your tickets on what event we’re going to do!
So, for those of you who want all the nitty gritty details, here you go:
- Sign Up: May 31, 2019
- First Day to Record Books and Complete Challenges: June 1, 2019
- Last Day to Record Books and Complete Challenges: July 17, 2019
- The Event happens on July 27, 2019
- Books recorded for the program must be Plymouth Public Library books – either print or digital.
- Every 100 pages completed earns a Ticket
- Tickets are used to either enter a Prize Drawing or Vote for the Event
- Everyone who reads at least 100 pages will receive an Invitation to the Event
- Prizes are awarded by Drawing only
- The Event is chosen by popular vote. The Event that has the most votes at the end of the program is what will happen.
Reading and Recording Guidelines
- You may read any book in the library that does not have ‘j’ or ‘Large Print’ on the spine label
- You may read any digital library book that is not illustrated
- Any illustrated fiction (including Graphic Novels) is worth 1/2 credit (take the total number of pages and divide by 2, rounded up)
- Any nonfiction that also satisfies other guidelines (no ‘j’ or ‘Large Print’) counts for full page credit
- You must write a review for every book you log. Reviews must be 25 words long or longer, and contain a detail from the book that is not found on the cover or inside flap
- You must bring your books with you for staff approval of your reviews. Staff reserves the right to request an oral report on any book logged.
- You may record books once and only once
- Each prize has one, and only one, winner
- Prizes are awarded by drawing a completed ticket out of the jar labeled with that prize
- No reader will win more than one prize
- Printed prize list available upon request
- Prizes must be picked up on or before the day of the Event
- Prize drawing is July 19, 2019 and winners will be posted on this blog and in the library
- Tickets are used to vote for the event that will happen at the end of the summer
- The event will take place on July 27, 2019
- Any reader who completes 100 pages or more during the program is invited to the event
- Only readers that have been invited to the event may attend
- Parents may attend as chaperones only
- Tickets are awarded for every 100 pages completed and logged into the Summer Discovery website or by completing Summer Discovery Challenges
- Tickets must be filled out completely (first & last name printed neatly) to be valid
- Only valid tickets will be counted towards vote totals
- Only valid tickets will be eligible for prize drawing
- Tickets will be awarded when reviews are approved with a staff member or when the Challenge elements are completed and validated by a staff member
- Grill Kit – Weber kettle grill, grill utensils, burger flavoring, and charcoal
- Picnic Kit – Picnic blanket, cooler, food containers, service for 4 outdoor dinnerware, pitcher, 2 ice packs
- Shaving Kit – shower tool, shaving cream, body wash, deodorant, body spray, travel bag
- Pool Party Kit – Inflatable pool, beach towels, water squirters, pitcher, 4 large plastic cups, lemonade mix
- Movie Night at Showland Cinema – 4 tickets & voucher for popcorn and 2 drinks
- $75.00 Visa Gift Card
- Lenovo Tab 4 10″ tablet
- Acer Chromebook 11 – 11.6″ display
- Mini-golf at TriWay – one round of 18 holes + 1 drink at concessions
- Night Swim at Plymouth Public Pool – 2 hours of pool time + drinks
- Pizza Party at the Library – 2 hours of fun with pizza and video games
- Guided Nature Walk on the Greenways Trail – Purdue Extension Office Naturalist will tell us about native plants and animals that live right here in Plymouth!
- Fishing at Price’s Pond – Everyone gets a fishing pole and some bait + drinks
- Bowling Party at Quick’s Lanes – 2 games each and shoe rental + drinks
- Skating Party at Plymouth Skate – 2 hours of skate time + drinks
- Ice Cream Party at the Library – 2 hours of fun with ice cream sundaes, board games & crafts
Questions? Comment! Or stop by the library and ask Miss Kirsten for more info!